Recommended Practice Resources
Planning and Implementation
Web accessibility requires strategic planning. Administrators must establish policies and procedures along with a systematic plan to develop, institute, and maintain web accessibility.
Writing a Solid Web Accessibility Policy: Cornell gets it right.
This GOALS resource outlines how the Cornell policy draft addresses key components of a successful web accessibility policy.
Inclusion of Key Personnel
- GOALS template: Identifying personnel for the web accessibility committee (DOC)
- The Institution's Web Accessibility Study Team
- Examples of Task Force/Accessibility Committee Development
Comprehensive Accessibility Policy
- University of Wisconsin Web Accessibility Policy
- GOALS template: Institutional Web Accessibility Policy (DOC)
- UC Davis Policy (PDF). Accessibility standard begins on p.5
- W3C on writing an accessibility policy
- Summary Statements
- Dates and Timeline Guides
- Scope of Policy
- Technical Standard descriptions and explanations (e.g. 508 vs. WCAG 2.0)
- Choosing a web accessibility standard from GOALS
- Kansas State accessibility policy (per 2001)
- University of New Mexico
- Ohio State University Web Accessibility Policy and Standards. See the "Minimum Web Accessibility Standards and Compliance Table"
- Procurement statements and explanations
- Mechanism for ongoing review
- George Mason University under "Effective Date and Approval"
- Ohio State University (PDF) under "II. Review"
Comprehensive Written Accessibility Plan
- Implementation Plan for Web Accessibility from the W3C. A guide to designing an accessibility plan from the W3C
- Create an Implementation Plan. From WebAIM's 8-Step Implementation Model.
- Sacramento State Web Accessibility Implementation Plan (PDF).
- Benchmarking models
- Examples of challenge/risk assessments (e.g. SWOTs)
Implementation of the Written Plan
- Institutional Strategic Plan for Technology At Western Illinois University Academic Years 2006 - 2007 through 2011 - 2012 (PDF)
- Gather Baseline Information. From WebAIM's 8-Step Implementation Model.
- Sacramento State Web Accessibility Implementation Plan (PDF)
- An example: UK University Accessible Web Design Plan
- W3C's Implementation Plan for Web Accessibility - Promote Organizational Awareness. Suggestions for spreading the word about your accessibility plan
- Case Studies in Training and Professional Development for Web Accessibility. A series of case studies from 8 different authors who were tasked to assist their institutions with Web accessibility.